Voice over Internet Protocol had been introduced for businesses as a replacement for traditional telephone lines. Business VoIP and SIP Trunks are gradually reducing the use of traditional telephone lines like PSTN and ISDN. With the rollout of NBN and other broadband infrastructure, business fibre internet providers in Australia have started to offer this powerful and flexible technology to its customers. SIP Trunks work towards improving the functionality and flexibility, being ideal for businesses of all sizes, unlike traditional telephone lines.
If your business needs voice and data services, both in equal importance then you must reap the benefits of VoIP service. If you have not used it yet, read how you can do it now.
- Check your PBX Phone system- You must begin with confirming if your existing PBX phone system is IP (Internet Protocol) enabled or not. If you have your PBX phone system installed in the last 5 to 10 years, then it must be IP enabled. This implies that you can use your current PBX system with SIP trunks, which is an equivalent of business VoIP telephone lines. The PBX system may come with a facility to add specific cards like VoIP, which makes it a matter of only connecting and programming the required number of SIP trunks to be used as lines for calling.
- Get IP Handsets- You may get one or more IP phones for your business if you don’t use a PBX already. IP desk and cordless phone systems are easily programmable with SIP trunks to enable calls in and out. A Direct in-dial (DID) telephone number is allocated to a SIP trunk. In most of the cases, you can also port-in your existing number, after which all you would need to do is plug in the IP handset into the IP router.
- Upgrade to Hosted PBX- If your PBX is not compatible with IP telephony, it is advised to upgrade to Hosted PBX. The hosted PBX providers in Australia offer you the advantage of getting rid of installation of an entirely new system in your office premises. Hosted PBX requires only IP handsets, which are programmed with extension numbers and plugged into the broadband service.
Along with how you may switch to VoIP for your business, you should also know why you must do it. The upgrade to Voice over Internet Protocol offers the following benefits to your business-
- SIP trunks offer a high level of service provision in comparison with traditional telephone lines, inclusive of ISDN, which is mainly delivered using the copper network.
- Business VoIP does not use any physical phone lines to install or relocate. It instead uses an existing broadband service to make and receive calls. All that you need to do is connect the phone system to a new broadband service.
- SIP trunks are the ideal solution to support all types of disaster recovery strategies. In case of power failures or other similar events, alternative routing automatically gets activated and calls get redirected to an alternative answering point, thereby ensuring complete redundancy.
- SIP trunks offer superior functionality across a variety of devices including PBX, IP desk phones, IP conference phones, mobile app or a softphone application.
- Also known as NBN phone lines, SIP trunks replace existing phone lines. They are also the fundamental components of most Unified Communication of IP Telephony technologies. You don’t need to upgrade or change when implementing new systems in your business.
Business Voice over Internet Protocol comes with features, functions, and pricing that outclasses the traditional telephone lines including ISDN. If you are running a small to medium business, then you must consider upgrading your broadband connection, if you haven’t already. You may get in touch with Genesystel, one of the renowned Hosted PBX providers in Australia to reap the benefits of its 360-degree solutions to all the telecom needs of Voice, Data and Telephone systems of your business.